Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

A discussion of ethics, in which he makes perfectly clear that he is indeed a believing Christian. Not one of those things that stood out like a sore thumb, but evident in his behavior. He was/is a good man. I'm still in my "ayn rand" phase, and no doubt sound like the young idiot that I was, but in my defense, I will say that I am still finding my way.

Apparently, I "refuse to assume the role of the humble creation of a sympathetic god." I go on to argue for pride. He quotes a sermon given by "my" pastor one Sunday. You must understand, Carthage College was a Lutheran college, his parents and mine were church pillars, this is still the early 60's, and we DID go to church on regular basis. Apparently, "my" pastor referred to pride as a "foolish chaaracteristic."

Nonetheless, I'm certain the following paragraph is very much a part of the reason I finally left him.

"Respect for our Masters you say. Love is a result of this if this respect is for THE Master, since His love in return completes the catalyst which results in a continuing and everlasting love. In this, rather than as proud man, can a person be at one with his creator."

My response to this, apparently, was that I was "losing sight of truth...lacking an ultimate theory of belief."

I still am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home