Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Letter from the fiancee' in which he attends several plays presented at the College Drama Festival of Virginia, meets an old college buddy, and misses a dinner presentation by Edward Albee (no ticket to the dinner). He mentions a new "book" by Albee "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" and he ends with an interesting note to my roommate. "Tell her 'hello' from me. Tell her I think she's a pig. Tell her how I've always considered her a bitch and a self-righteous snob and that I was only decent to her because I thought you would like me to be that way. Tell her I still like her though, and will continue to d so as long as you continue to like her, as you do now I fear." I told her no such thing, but thinking back on it, I fear he was right.

He encloses the playbill, with comments. One Robert Lewis gave critiques after the performances. Larry says, "great man - could talk for hours. Bald head which looks like a huge misformed coconut!" Lewis apparently liked a performance of Carl Sandburg's poems and songs. "Lewis said best part was where one of the readers sang off key - true to Carl's ways, you know."

Larry liked a performance of "The Maids" by Jean Genet. "Great! Weird as they come. Illusions not quite believable. Char: were scitzoid [sic]." A play by James D. Pendleton called "The Oaks of Mamre" "has to do with Abraham's conflict[s] when told to sacrifice his son." Abraham played by Ben Simmons ("great actor"). Isaac played by Lynn Clark ( "whould have been sacrificed").

Our friend Gary Gisselman was in the cast of "Crawling Arnold" by Jules Feiffer, "mainly known for his cartoons in 'Village Voice' and 'Playboy'", Larry tells me (and no, I wouldn't have known in 1963). Act V of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" had an all girl cast.

It sounds like a good time. He says I would have found "at least some of it enjoyable."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home