Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

A note from my friend Mary's mother. She gives me Mary's Chicago address, and says Mary would be glad to hear from me. I would be glad to hear from her now. Wish both our mothers were still alive to facilitate.

The card is a sweet one, designed for the benefit of the Junior Welfare Association, Decatur, Illinois, for the benefit of their projects for Children. There is a water color sketch of the Central Park Fountain in Decatur on the front. I should remember this. I should remember it the way I remember the fountain in Grant Park, Chicago, or the International Fountain at Seattle Center. I should have fond memories of watching it, spring, summer, and fall, and of ice forming around it in winter. Fountains are my kind of thing. I guess they weren't always. I don't remember it at all. I barely remember any of Decatur. Well, I do remember the mulberry tree in our backyard on Forest Street. And the woods and pastures when we lived on the edge of the other side of town. And the woods and the river near where my father had our last Decatur home built. So I guess I didn't have time or interest in those days for nature enclosed in architecture. It's a charming looking thing - like a big three-potted cauldron, with arcing cascades of wter obscuring the green wash of the background trees, with two wood and iron benches on either side of the inviting path that leads to this place of peace and beauty. I wish I did remember it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home