Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Friday, September 17, 2004

USO-TAS Lounge Chicago Union Station more sheets of blank stationery. Hey, give me a break. It's hard, you know, finding something to write about when all you've got for inspiration are a few sheets of blank stationery. Letters never written. Where should I go with this? A riff on what might have been? I don't think so.

Pennsylvania Railroad - Burlington Route - The Milwaukee Road - Gulf, Mobile and Ohio R.R.

A sepia print of the station. In green. Right in the middle. Did you write over or around it?

I wish I remembered meeting the fiancee' there, or seeing him off. I don't. But I envision him in his uniform, and me pretending I am in an ad from National Geographic in the 40's. Something about buying bonds.

I have taken the train from there. Home to Decatur, later, after dumping the fiancee' and living the good life in Chicago. I remember the conductor calling, "Decatuh, Decatuh, Soybean Capital of the World." I remember a conversation with another conductor about atheism. I was holding my infant son. He told me that if I didn't believe in God, I would just throw my son off the train. Because without God, there is no love. So, no matter what I professed to believe, he knew I believed in God. Very irritating. He put a damper on my smugness.

That great scene in "The Untouchables" with Kevin Costner, on the stairs, with the baby carriage, was shot in Union Station. I know Al Capone travelled from there. So did I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home