Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

And here is the program for said oratorio - Elijah, by Felix Mendelssohn. I recognize some of the singers. The ushers are courtesy of Beta Phi Epsilon (my fiancee's fraternity). William Pieper was on the tympani. I just liked the name. I wish I remembered more about this. I wish it conjured up a meaningful memory. It does do something - more like nostalgia. Nostalgia for a more innocent, peaceful time. I had never heard of born-again Christians. I was an atheist. But I could listen to the music, and not think of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (and, therefore, Mormons). All of this has a flavor of Thanksgiving about it, of trees without leaves, of early snow, of simple beauty. It's as far away as Hobbiton now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home