Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Listen to the judgmental little prig I was in 1962/3: A questionnaire on Cheating in the Classroom.

1. What do you feel constitutes cheating in the classroom?
Me: Any dependency upon anyone else for anything at any time.

2. What reasons do you feel would justify cheating in the classroom?
Me: Reason does not justify cheating. Cheating is caused by a lack of self-esteem.

3. How prevelent do you feel cheating is on the Carthage campus?
Me: I couldn't say for sure. I've never noticed.

4. Have you cheated during the present semester?
Me: No

5. N/A

6. Which of these would best describe you (sic) attitude toward cheating?
a. It is all right
b. It is all right if for a good reason
c. It is always bad

Me: I crossed all of them out and answered: It would be the worst thing possible for ME!

7. In deciding whether or not to cheat in specific instances, did you consider:
what fellow students would think
how it might affect others grades
the possibility of getting caught
your religious beliefs

Me: None of the above. There's no decision to make. I'm proud of my own ability. I don't need anyone elses.

The End

Okay: This is probaby Ayn Rand talking here. I completely ignore the fact that I cheated often and gladly in Junior High and High School - right up to, but not including, Algebra 3 in High School. There was a whole bunch of us who joyfully copied off each other's papers, even during exams. All of us knew the material. It wasn't like we didn't know. We just sometimes forgot. It was only when I hit Algebra 3 and didn't know the material at all - could not comprehend it - that I gave up cheating. I refused to cheat on stuff I didn't already know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home