Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

September 2, 1962. Another letter from my long ago lover, Dave - he of the Luther League Convention - the one who went in the airforce. Funny. Looking at these envelopes can still give me a feeling of one kind or another. Very hard to describe. Seeing Dave's handwriting on the envelope - I almost feel excited again to hear from him. Can almost picture him in the sunshine on the Cornell Campus, sometime in the late 50's? I think. 1959, most likely. I would have been 16. A sweeter 16 boyfriend a girl couldn't ask for. Alas, he lived in Washington, D.C.

I get a similar feeling when I see the envelopes from my fiancee'. But with a heavy tinge of regret. I didn't do wrong by Dave, and we remained friends for as long as we were able to stay in touch. I did wrong by the other one, and we did not remain friends.

Dave writes, "I still think you're a pretty swell girl." Makes me feel like a flapper! Or a USO girl from the 40's. Makes me smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home