Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Another time capsule from my friend Jan at St. Olaf's. She sends a program of chamber music which includes "Improvisations" on "Wah-Watusi" and "Roses Are Red (My Love)".

She begins, "Well, I've decided that I can't leave. I mean only in the St. Olaf bookstore would Ferlinghetti, Kierkegaard and Winnie-the-Pooh be the best sellers." She and friends have had discussions about "what constitutes literary tream-of-thought as used by James Joyce one way and differently by other writers." She's been to see Miriam Makeba, and will soon see "La Strada" and Bergman's "The Seventh Seal." Her friend Ira got fined $8 for writing poetry on the walls of his room and refusing to clean it off. "You never did write me you know and tell me if you have read ferlinghetti, so do so, please and thank you. Witzke and i gave each other copies of winnie the pooh for our birthdays last week and i read mine as a bedtime story for devotions."

I don't remember reading Ferlinghetti that year. I was probably too busy baking chocolate cakes for the Devil's fucking Darling Dance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home