Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Thursday, July 01, 2004

October of 1962. A letter from my pal in the airforce - my major love interest at Cornell the year I went to a Luther League convention there when I was 16. We remained friends - well, pen pals - for a long time. I have just written him about my engagement - or am I engaged yet? I don't remember. He tells me about a "girl back home." He says my letter indicated that I had finally found my spot in life. He says "I always thought you had yourself and your "goal" figured out." I wish I remember what that was. And whatever spot I had found in the fall of '62, I had lost by the following year.

He says to say hello to my mom and pop. I don't remember if he actually met them. I don't remember seeing him since the bus rolled out of Cornell that summer. He says "I'm an airman second class now. Another fouorteen dollars a month will help."

What did I tell you about the dark ages?

My mother died yesterday. I think that's the post I'll put up tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home