Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

It's been about a year and a half sinice I last posted here. There will be no one watching for it. I'll go on anyway. It's been a remarkable time. I have finished the novel, but not sold it. Been to two Oregon Country Fairs, working midnight to 6 AM at the Dragon Gate and proud of it, been elected Democratic Precinct Committee Officer of my little precinct, and just recently seen my beloved, although always somewhat disheveled and tarnished, Democrats get another crack at doing some good in the world. I've given at least two spectacular parties, cooked another tasty Thanksgiving dinner, and decorated yet another Christmas. I've attended two reunions, one of family and one of all those other old folks with whom I graduated high school. The family thrives. The others likely do as well. My old friend Jan - her husband, Clarence. A very ordinary couple at first sight. They turned into nothing spectacularly special. At first glance. Then she smiled at me, and I saw the old twinkle in her eyes. I saw her delicious smile. I saw a glance between her and her husband, and a laugh. She had found something truly special. Spectacularly special. A man who loved her. A man she loved. It was my favorite moment.

I've watched a good friend go from busted Achilles tendons to surprise pregnancy and birth, and take it with so much good hope and humor that I am humbled. I know for certain sure that if it were me, with the requisite employment-challenged boyfriend, I would - well, let's just say, or remember, that I've been in nearly as desperate straits, and got the hell out of there. I found out earlier. I was lucky.

There's no way to catch up on a year and a half, and even approach making it interesting. I'm just still here. Opening old mail. I never finished the folder I was working on before. I open another letter, and it's from David. My air force friend. The boy I met at Cornell in New York, at a Luther League Convention. The one with whom I spent the entire weekend making out in the bushes. Was remembering it again this morning. My, that boy could kiss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home