Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Monday, February 07, 2005

Army slang: USATC: You sorry ass tank commander...circa 1962

There's a little drawing of a tank at the top of his Fort Knox stationery. He's drawn a little tank driver poking out the top, and a caption telling me to "tell Smitty this is me."

I think I am attending Young Republican meetings on campus. I vaguely remember this. My father was an Eisenhower Republican. I have not yet become radicalized. That would not happen until reading a headline, not so many years later, about destroying a village to save it (in Viet Nam). I know I was for Kennedy, and that in my first presidential election, I voted for Johnson (after having registered Republic for the Chicago primary so I could vote against Goldwater - for a woman - Claire Booth Luce, I believe). Anyway, he mentions someone I could invite to my "Republican meetings." Maybe it had something to do with Ayn Rand. I would far rather reveal tawdry sexual liasons than the possibility that I spent any time as a Republican.

There is something about India - some kind of threat - but I have no idea what it was. I'll have to Google it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home