Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

October 29, 1962: The Cuban Missile Crisis

He writes: "I get so damned mad when I think of the leaders of the two world powers putting everything on the block, risking all, closing their ears to negotiations leaving no room to save face except by war. It's all so damned silly...Our threats endanger mankind. Why shouldn't Russia demand that we take our missle bases out of Turkey by the same argument that we're using in the Cuban situation...

"I would rather we lose a little face than have war, for I would surely die, I know. This army is fooling the men down here into believing it is powerful and invincible. Of course, a little confidence is good, but then we should be made aware of what to expect. I only hope our leaders do not abdicate our need for negotiation or all is lost."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home