Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

This letter almost all about seeing "Boccaccio 70" in Richmond - he's stationed at Ft. Lee, VA, I think, by now. The directors are Federico Fellini, Luchino Visconti, and Vittoria Da Sica, and the stars are Anita Ekberg, Sophia Loren and Romy Scheider. Produced by Carlo Ponti. He wants me to see it.

More love letter stuff. I was thinking about what I meant the last time when I said there had never been anyone else like him - or words to that effect. I was thinking engagement and the military term "rules of engagement" - and that led to the phrase "level of engagement." And I think that last is what I mean. There has never been anyone else with the same level of engagement with himself, me, our life. Everyone else has been a few planes away somehow.

An ex-boyfriend called me the other day (not for the first time) and practically demanded that I come over to see what he was doing. I finally relented. He was doing wonderful things - constructing boxes out of fine hardwoods, his tiny apartment (one can hardly call it that - he lives in a rooming house) filled with saws and vises and wood scraps and tools - and the boxes are cleverly constructed and decorated with inlay. After showing me everything he was doing and working on, he wanted me to stay so I could see exactly how he had contrived to be able to glue these thin pieces together to make the inlays, how he was working on a larger piece that could only be called "art." It was very clever. And the work was very beautiful. "Fernando said I was a genius," he told me.

I told him it was all wonderful, but that I had to get back because I needed to get another chapter of my novel into the writer's group. He didn't hear me. When I repeated it, he said, "Yes, yes - but here - look at this. You can get back to your little project anytime."

I'm not going back there.

From Wikipedia: Boccaccio '70 is a 1962 Italian portmanteau film directed by Mario Monicelli, Federico Fellini, Luchino Visconti and Vittorio de Sica, from an idea by Cesare Zavattini. It is an anthology of four episodes, each by one of the directors, all about a different aspect of morality and love in modern times, on the style of Boccaccio.
The four original episodes were:
Renzo e Luciana (by Mario Monicelli) with Marina Solinas and Germano Gilioli.
Le tentazioni del dottor Antonio (by Federico Fellini) with Peppino de Filippo and Anita Ekberg.
Il lavoro (by Luchino Visconti) with Romy Schneider and Tomas Milian.
La riffa (by Vittorio de Sica) with Sophia Loren.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home