Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

I suggested to him that we discuss books and articles and ideas. He tells me I suggested this, and that I began with something from Mark Twain. Wonder what I said.

He mentions a magazine called The Reporter that he says reflects his own views. I know he told me to read The National Review, since we should keep up with the "other side." At least, I think The National Review reflected the "other side."

Unable to find anything on Google about The Reporter (circa 1963) except for an obscure reference which goes nowhere else and is devoid of information.

He talks about the price of stamps - "By the way, tell me what you think ab0ut using only 5 cent [has anybody noticed that there is no longer a "cent" sign on the keyboard? Didn't there used to be? Or am I imagining things?] stamps on our letters? It saves money..." This was as opposed to using "airmail." I don't remember how much airmail cost. His reasoning is that once it gets started, 5 cent letters will arrive as often as airmail letters as long as we keep the writing stream going.

Oh. Here's the 1963 postage rates:

Domestic Letter Rate: Jan.1 - Jan.6: 4¢ per oz · Jan.7 - Dec.31: 5¢ per oz
Postcard Rate: Jan.1 - Jan.6: 3¢ · Jan.7 - Dec.31: 4¢
Air Mail Rate: Jan.1 - Jan.6: 7¢ per oz. · Jan.7 - Dec.31: 8¢ per oz.

So we were talking about saving 2-3 cents/letter. I supposed it meant something then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home