Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Monday, January 15, 2007

It's December, 1962. The letter serves to remind me why I thought I loved him. Maybe really did. Since he has been in my thoughts ever since. He does say something odd...

He has a pass for the weekend, and is "off to see Miles." That would be Miles Davis. He's in Fort Knox, KY (Larry, not Miles) so I have no idea where Miles would be playing. Remember, this is before civil rights really begins to get started. The south is still Jim Crow. Miles could be playing somewhere, but - hmmm...just Googled it. The page was missing, but the reference read: "I’d been listening in earnest to Miles Davis’ “Kind Of Blue’ sinking deeper and ... A few months passed, and then Miles came to town (Louisville, Kentucky). ..." Could it be the same show? Like I said, when I clicked on it, the page was gone.

Anyway, not so very strange then that he's going to see Miles in Kentucky. But that wasn't the strange part. The strange part was when he continued..."We get paid Friday so I will be busy after the concert, too - getting high."

Now, I do not recall any "getting high" going on at all. Did he mean drinking? Was there some kind of drug involved? Now that I think of it, I can almost remember something later on, in Chicago - but no, I think my neurons are confused and wanting to find something that isn't there. He must mean booze. He did like to drink. I don't mean like folks I knew later liked to drink. I mean like cocktail hour drinking. That was one big difference between his little Lutheran parents and mine. His drank. Cocktail hour drank. But could he have meant something else.....

I don't remember doing any drugs at all until I was over 30. I mean, drugs like marijuana and so forth and so on. The most high I got in those days was when I had cramps. Then I took Mydol. Mydol had benzidrine in it. I got fired once because I took too many on my lunch hour and came back still out to lunch. Too embarrassed to tell my boss that it was Mydol, I just said, "Oh, it's nothing. I just took a couple of bennies." Like I thought that would explain everything and be ok. No.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home