Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Just a short bit today. No new revelations - about him or me. Just the fact that he spells oaf "olf." Surely a misprint. Have I said, most of these letters are in pen and ink on notepaper. A lost art. He calls me "darling." Also a lost art. So is "olf" a mis-scribble?

I was thinking the other day about one of my favorite words. "Gloaming." Just looked it up, to be certain of its origins. Comes from Old English "glom" - "dusk." I was surprised to see that it was NOT characterized as "archaic, poetic." As a matter of fact, it was the "Word of the Day" on Dictionary.com on 28 February 2000. I'm going to begin using it in conversation.

It's 4:03 p.m. In an hour or so, we will be in the gloaming, darling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home