Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Monday, April 30, 2007

This one from much earlier - September 1962. He's still at Fort Knox, in the Service Club, listening to Miles Davis' "Sketches from Spain." He says they had pictures taken, and he's thinking he will pass his out to the NCO's "who I am sure will be delighted." I liked his sense of humor. I didn't have the mental acuity to appreciate Miles until much later. Too much taken with Chubby Checker and Jerry Lee Lewis, I believe. Althought I remember thinking I *should* like jazz, mostly it just put me to sleep. I remember saying something like that to someone else later on in Chicago - that it was good music to go to sleep by, thinking that was a good thing to say, an appreciative thing. Whoever I said it to gave me a look of pure astonishment, and I knew I had just revealed myself as irredeemably uncool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home