Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Talk about an item with no clue, no idea, total disconnect. Well, we weren't talking about that at all, but here it is. A postcard of "Fountain of Three Graces on Sun Room Terrace at Arden House, Harriman Campus of Columbia University, Harriman, New York, 10926."

I have never been there. I didn't know there was a Harriman Campus. I never thought about going to Columbia at any of its campuses. And when did I stick it in the file? There is a zip code. There are no zip codes on any of the letters. We are pre-zip here.

None of the above is very interesting, I know - not even to me, except to wonder what the hell it's doing there? Why did I keep it? Why do we keep these things? Things that have no meaning, no reference to anything, place, person, event or hope. Nevertheless, there they are. Three graces on a summer day, in the middle of a green lawn, surrounded by a flurry of flowers. In front of some singularly graceless stone buildings. Maybe that's the only meaning it has - now, if not then. Somewhere in the midst of the mundane, one can sometimes find grace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home