Ripple Effect

A journal of memories, impressions, ideas and mistakes.

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

A letter from my sister Joan and her best friend. They are still in high school. Juniors, I believe. I reprint the letter here in its entirety, simply because it is another piece of social history. I have no idea if the "queer" my sister refers to references a gay man (highly unlikely, given the time, I would think) or just someone peculiar. "Mac" is a high school. Mr. Green was our high school biology teacher. We had high school sororities. I was not in one. Joan was.

"Dear Barb and Anne,

"How are you two getting along these days? I her that you got lovely grades, Barb. That's wondrful. I'm trying to decide whether to take zoo or not - just love Mr. Green.

"I'm geting very tired of O'le (sic) Mac - I hate it even. We've started rushing in sorority. I've been working on party invitations - I want everyone to think that I can do SOME work.

"Well, I guess that you two know that there's a game in Decatur March 1 - and that you are going to come visit us - and that you are going to bring "New York" to ME! You did know that didn't you? Of course you did! And bring somebody for Joanie, and they can stay here - for awhile - hee! he3e! (If Chris is dating someone - fool - don't tell me)

"Now here is Joanie...Lovies, Mary Ann

"Hi ya kids, hi ya...hi ya!! Remember 'Froggie the Gremlin' on the Buster Brown Show - in years back?!!

"Yea Barb, what lovely grades! How are your Anne? I got 4 B's and an A...averages. Oh, Barb, last Fri. night I went out with John Schoroeder. We had his dad's Mercedez Benz - so lovely!

"I got a letter from Bill McFadden fro Rolla. (Miss. Schoole of Mines) (sic). So darling! Last weekend Marta and I went out with these guys from U. of I. Grohne went with Ray Stephen, and I went with a queer friend of his. Tra la la...We went to the Blue Mill for hamburgers after they picked us up at Mac. We'd been in a stage show.

"Now for the goodie...come down for the game, N.Y. and accomplice can stay at Ousley's! That's March 1 weekend. Then the second week in March, we'll come there for the weekend, if you guys aren't doing anything special and if you all still love us, cause we still love you...and New York (Mary said to say that.)

"Be good guys-----pounds of purple passion!

"Joanie and Mary Ann"

Something else I didn't remember. There was this short period of time when my sister and I could have been friends. I don't remember if these plans materialized. I do know that my sister and I were estranged for many years, starting not so long after this. That may have had more to do with my running off to Chicago and dropping everyone else. Life went on.

"So darling...so lovely...tra la la" - "Joanie" still talks that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home